Sunday, April 3, 2016

Writing, a PhD and Dreaming Big

So it has been a while (I feel like that's the first line of every blog post), so I thought I would use this oppotunity to do a couple of things. First, I wanna talk about Brett. I don't often discuss his PhD program because let's be honest, we're not on speaking terms. I hate school. Ahem. I mean, I'm Lindsay Lohan and it's Rachel McAdams. And she keeps stealing my man! (Pouty face), but don't worry. I'm getting over it. Slowly, but surely. Long story short, Brett was planning on graduating this year, but we have decided to extend to a fifth year due to a few things. We both feel it would be best for him. The frustrating part is that because he needs more time, the school won't pay for him to be here. We have been soooo blessed with an assistantship and haven't acccumulated any student debt here which liike I said, BLESSING! Now we will have to figure some things out, so if you'd like to keep us in your prayers, it would be much appreciated. Especially if you keep Brett in them. He is so smart and so driven, but his projects are so hard. He feels like every step he takes forward, he takes two steps back. So more than anything, prayers for him to believe in himself and for his models to work out would be excellent! Thanks in advance!
On to my book. So I have really wanted to write my book for a very long time. I made lots of announcements and did lots of talking about it to keep me on track. Let me first say, I am on track! Excellently on track. For the first time since 8 years of dreaming this dream would come true, I have a first draft! I am so beyond excited about it! What I didn't intend on happening, was for my characters to need to be different than I had dreamed them up. Basically, what happened was Draft 1 was a place to start or so I thought. Upon further revision and thinking, i realizied it's actually book 3...Not book 1. So, the whole April 31st deadline thing...not going to work because now I have to write book 1 and book 2 before releasing book 3. Insert stomping and crying here.
I have met some excellent people here who have been helping me accomplish this dream and who have been encouraging me to better myself. In all reality, I'm basically a greenie who is just starting out. I'm realizing this dream will take years of hard, hard work to come to fruition. So thank you for all of your supporting and cheering up and encouraging. Please be patient with me. Those who I've promised to let read my book, you can. Just not yet because it's not written. I am also thinking about taking a hiatus for reading. I've never been much on reading, but in order to hone in on my craft, I have to study how others do it and there is only one way to do that: READ, READ, READ, READ,READ.
So please feel free to ask about my book. I will continue writing. I will continue dreaming and moving towards making those dreams come truee. But I want to do this right. When I come to an editor some day and pitch this, I want to be confident that they'll take my story. The last thing I want is for this novel to never been seen by any one because of my impatience to get it started.
Lastly, dreaming. Sigh. Us Devines do a lot of that. I am excited for life and what is in the cards for us. I am all about ddreaming big and so is Brett. We both want a lot more for our lives than we currently have, but we are sowing seeds that will bring about those changes. I found the perfect quote the other day that keeps pushing me forward when I think our dreams are enormous Goliaths in our lives: "Dreams are made a size too big so we can grow into them."
Keep dreaming, keeping working hard, and I promise one day eveything will fall into place! Hello and goodbye from Pullman, WA!!!! Thank you for reading :)

The Devine Family

No comments:

Post a Comment